free hit counter

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

to really split hairs

I've never had much of a head for grammar, but I do have a strong appreciation for good writing.

I was reading a writing tips sheet for school which said to "Rely on a standard American English writing style guide...", however it further advised to not bow to the dictator of style if it meant sacrificing clarity and utility. In an offhand way the sheet mentioned the split infinitive and hanging preposition as if everyone should be familiar with these middling grammatical transgressions.

I wasn't. Though now than I am, I'm not sure I'm any better for it.

Split infinitive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Preposition Stranding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Disputed English Grammar- Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home